- 2 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 4 ears corn, shucked, kernels removed (about 3 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 oz. cotija cheese, finely crumbled
- ½ cup finely sliced scallion greens
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- Smoked paprika or ground chipotle, to taste
step 1: Show Images
In a large non-stick skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add the corn kernels to the pan and season to taste with salt. Cook for a minute or two without stirring to char, then toss lightly and char again. (Use the lid as necessary to guard against spattering oil and/or popcorn action.) Repeat until most sides are slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes total. Transfer the corn to a large mixing bowl. Let cool slightly.
step 2: Show Images
Once the corn has cooled slightly, add the mayonnaise, cotija, scallion greens, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, and lime juice to the bowl. Season lightly with smoked paprika or ground chipotle. Toss gently just until evenly combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve.