For the chicken:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. roasted red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the sauce:
- ¾-1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 scallions, green parts only, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ tbsp. low fat mayonnaise*
- 2½ tbsp. low fat greek yogurt
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
step 1: Show Images
In a shallow dish or pie plate, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Place the chicken breasts in the dish with the marinade, turn once to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
step 2: Show Images
Heat a grill to medium-high heat. While the grill is heating, make the sauce. Combine the cilantro, scallions, lime juice, garlic, mayonnaise, and greek yogurt in a blender or a food processor. Blend until smooth. (Alternatively, combine in a bowl and blend with an immersion blender.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
step 3: Show Images
Add the chicken to the grill and cook, turning once, until nicely browned and the internal temperature registers 160˚ F on an instant read thermometer. Remove to a plate and let rest a few minutes before serving with the green sauce. Sprinkle with cotija and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
step 4: Show Images
*If you wish, you can try using all Greek yogurt instead of mayo. However, I have noticed that when I do this in sauces or dressings, the flavor is always a bit off somehow. Try if you like but a 50/50 mix is usually my preference.