- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 cup roasted almonds
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. coarse salt
step 1: Show Images
Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until ground into small pieces. Add in the coconut and almonds and continue to pulse until finely ground. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
step 2: Show Images
In a medium saucepan, combine the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. Heat over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate chips are completely melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the oat mixture and stir together until well incorporated.
step 3: Show Images
Scoop the mixture in 1½-2 tablespoon dollops onto a baking sheet. Let sit for a few minutes until slightly more firm and then roll into balls. Once the balls are formed, chill in the refrigerator until firmly set, about 1-2 hours.
step 4: Show Images
- Quick cooking oats can be used in place of old fashioned – just skip the pulsing step because they are already more finely ground.
- If you prefer, you can enhance the coconut flavor by toasting the coconut and using regular (non-refined) coconut oil. If you want to dial down the coconut, skip the toasting and use refined coconut oil.
- If you have raw almonds, toast them lightly in a skillet to enhance the flavor.