- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp. ground paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices artisan bread, such as sourdough
- 3 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Chopped hardboiled eggs (2-3)
- Finely chopped red onion
- Grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Minced fresh cilantro
- step 1: Show Images
To make the compound butter, combine the butter, garlic, chipotle powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until evenly combined.
- step 2: Show Images
Spread a thin layer of the butter on both sides of the bread slices. Warm a skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the buttered bread to the pan and cook, turning once, until crisp and browned on both sides. (Alternatively, cook on a grill or grill pan.) Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- step 3: Show Images
Meanwhile, scoop the flesh of the avocados into a medium bowl. Add in the lime juice and salt and mash together coarsely with a fork. Spread a generous layer of the avocado mash on each slice of the toast. Top with some of the hardboiled egg, red onion, tomatoes, and minced cilantro. Serve immediately.