A few months ago, Ben and I had an excellent date night that centered around a Jim Gaffigan comedy show. We have wanted to see him live for years and I was ecstatic when I realized he had a show in our area. I am fairly certain I have never, ever laughed as hard as I did that night for such an extended period of time, i.e. the entire time he was on stage. Though I’m pretty sure he could talk about practically anything and leave me doubled over with laughter, this particular show was right on target. He talked about food about 85% of the time (and his kids/family for the other 15%).
Of course he finished out with his infamous Hot Pocket bit, but in the list of his many food-related topics, he also had a full fledged arsenal of jokes about kale. For example, how no one really, legitimately likes kale and something about how it tastes like spinach with dirt and hair on it. Though I don’t particularly agree with him on these points, I have definitely met some people who could sympathize. If you are one who might agree with Jim where kale is concerned, I give to you this recipe for consideration. The kale is cooked low and slow so the greens are tender. Combined with some nearly caramelized onions, garlic and a dotting of creamy ricotta, this is an omelet filling that is a bit out of the ordinary but so very good. And though I sometimes find that omelets, especially in restaurants, can be a very heavy food, these were on the lighter side. Still filling, to be sure, but not crash-on-the-couch-and-take-a-nap filling. This is a lovely breakfast option for this time of year when the markets aren’t exactly bursting with a wide variety of seasonal produce.